Monday, June 30, 2014

Earring Tutorial: Paper or Plastic?



Being in the upcycling arena and all, I don't usually get to work with stuff quite this cool.  But I won some of this from the web site CraftGossip.com back in December, and I finally told myself I had to stop hoarding it and to use it!  I also wanted some dangling earrings now that my hair is so very short.

So what is this stuff?  I call it paper plastic or plastic paper because it has all the best qualities of both.  It is durable, slightly flexible, and waterproof, with a holographic sheen, like a plastic.  It is thin enough to be cut with ordinary scissors and is quite light, like paper.  It's been easy and fun to work with.  It's called Rowlux Illusion Polycarbonate .

 

So easy, in fact, that these are five-minute earrings.
Here is what I used:

 
1.  I cut out circles.  I used the paper punch, but it didn't go all the way through and instead left a circle imprint for me to cut out with my scissors, which was fine.  I probably could have forced it, but I didn't want to since I use the circle paper punch all of the time when I make my Christmas ornaments.
2.  Using exacto knife with wood underneath I "drilled" the holes by rotating the exacto knife in one direction, gently pushing it into the material.
3.  I added the circle to a jump ring and then to an empty earring.  All done!
The technique was so easy that I whipped up a couple more.





No comments:

Post a Comment