~How to set up rain barrels.~
You will need:
- Something to elevate the rain barrel. (We used two cinder blocks.) Remember that a full barrel weighs 440 pounds and plan accordingly.
- A brick or rock to weight down the barrel so it doesn't blow away like an empty trash can
- A hack saw to cut your drainpipe
- Something to convey the water from the cut drainpipe to the opening of the water barrel
- zip ties (depending on the item above)
- screws (again, depending on how you are connecting the downspout to the opening of the water barrel)
- Someone to take pictures of you because you are cuter when you use tools
First, we set down some cinder blocks (free-left behind by the previous owner of our house).
Next, The Magician cut the drainpipe with some kind of heavy-duty saw:
Then he measured and cut some drain-pipe extenders to size:
Next we used zip ties to convince the of the the extender that it didn't want to let water from the roof go anywhere except into the water barrel:
After clipping the ends of the zip ties for aesthetic reasons, we were done.
Here's what I get when I ask my husband to smile for the camera:
Please post comments if you have any questions about how we did this. Thanks for reading!