Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Mosaic Tree is Growing toward Completion!

I did some more work on my mosaic tree today.  (Instead of reading a biography of Chesterton--I'm lecturing on his life in class tomorrow so I'm headed for the couch and some Wisdom and Innocence by my friend Joseph Pearce.)
Here's where I started:
Here's where I stopped:
Here's a close-up.  I had fun looking through Christmas cards for leaves.
I'm all ready to add more leaves the next time I work on it.
I couldn't pick a season, so I'm doing them all!
I hope you are enjoying watch it grow and that my tree will get you thinking of doing some art of your own.  It doesn't have to be expensive--this has cost me nothing but Elmer's glue, which I bought in bulk (hardware store).  The Christmas cards were free, the cardstock is from the factory where my Mom works, and the frame I will use came with our house--it was left on the back porch.
Happy Creating!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found you by following links from I don't even know where, haha. I just merrily click along until something catches my eye, and wow did your work catch it! Question on your tree project... Did you cut out the leaves individually? Also, how do you decide size and shape of the "tiles"?
    Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your kind words. They made my day!

      I did cut out the leave individually, using regular scissors. Some of them were images of leaves on the Christmas cards and some were just colored areas that I tried to cut in a leaf-shaped way.

      The shapes of the tiles are based on the space I'm filling and also on trying to create contrast. So I might cut a curved tile for a hill or a leaf-shaped tile for that part of the tree, or wavy shapes for what is supposed to be the tree's shadow. But I'm also trying to create contrast so that the different areas don't blend together so I did mostly triangles for the sky and I added smaller squares in with the curves in the nearest of the three hills.

      If you like the look, you should try it yourself. It is time-consuming, but very relaxing. You could start with a small surface or large tiles, both of which will make it go faster.

      I am currently fantasizing about a large, circular rose window for over the fireplace, one that would take months to do... If I do it, though, I'll definitely post it.

      Happy creating, and thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your tips! I am going to try this...just have to come up with an idea. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the tag "mosaic" you'll find my posts about the angel mosaic and the mosaic box where I list some tips you might find helpful.

      Have fun with it and let me know how it goes!

      Delete