Monday, January 20, 2014

Recycling T-Shirts into a Clutch

Normally, I wouldn't have picked these colors.  I just wanted to see if the idea would work.  And it did!  It's sort of a loose weave, but keys, cell phone, checkbook--yes, yes, yes, they will all fit and not fall through.




How to make your own:

1. Cut long strips of T-shirt material about an inch or an inch and a half wide.  Make them as long as you can.

2. Roll them into balls.  This keeps you from having a tangled mess on your hands.

3. Sew three together with a needle and thread.  Begin braiding.

4. Using a toothbrush needle and some plastic yarn, coil the braid into the shape you want.  Weave the plastic yarn in and out of the braids, binding them together.

5. Sew the end together with a needle and thread.

Okay, this needs pictures for the various steps.  For my next one, I'll take pictures.

I made this almost entirely while commuting, which was part of the point of the project.  I'm only going to do something boring and repetitive whilst unavoidably stuck in a car with nothing else to do.  This is a way to make that time useful since I get carsick when I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment