Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Frugal Grocery Shopping--Comparing Prices

Is it worth it to comparison grocery shop?

I'll try it and let you know.

We have two nearby grocery stores on adjacent corners.  So since the "drive all over town" problem isn't a problem, I decided to pick back up on on a habit we hadn't quite managed to adopt and do some price comparing. 


I wish I'd dated the original sheet because it was interesting to note that of the original 47 grocery items, at Hy-Vee the price went up on 18 of them, stayed the same on 12 of them, and went down on 11 items.  (There were 6 I didn't check as we don't eat them any more.)

At Super Saver, the price went up on 10, stayed the same on 15, and went down on 14 items.  (The numbers don't add up because there are some items Super Saver doesn't carry that Hy-Vee does.)  If I bought everything on both lists, Super Saver would be $40.91 cheaper, although that is skewed by the fact that there are four items (including one worth $11.99) that Super Saver doesn't carry and so aren't included in the Super Saver tally.

Anyway, I'm going to try using this master list to plan our shopping and see how much it saves us and whether or not it is worth it. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment