Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Don't Throw Away.... Plastic Containers!

Here is the beginning of our tiny, window-sill, year-round herb garden.

I used robust Beacon 527, which I let dry over night, for the initial twine-to-plastic connection.  After that, it was Elmer’s all the way until the very end, at which point I used the Beacon 527 again.  For another one I used ordinary clear tape to hold the end in place.

 I had to push each additional strand up tight against its neighbor, but I still had some white peeking through.  Oh, well.  It’s still less tacky than un-adorned yogurt containers!

 I sealed it with my beloved ModPodge.
 Here is some garlic, planted in compost soil.
 I did a second one out of a taller container.
 You can see how much the garlic as grown in the past week or so.
I have hopes of making a whole little army of them.  The Magician has been growing them in water, which works fine, but I'm hoping dirt will work better.
I know the embellishment is unnecessary but frugal doesn't have to be ugly!  (And I already had the twine left over from something else.)


  1. Interesting idea. To help with watering and to prevent water logged roots, you might see if you can find two containers that mostly fit inside each other, but leaves an inch or two of space at the bottom of the large one. Then you could cut drain holes in the inside one, and either water from the top, or fill to the bottom containing and let the roots draw up the water.

    1. This is a really good idea. I am hoping the lack of drainage holes in this design won't be a problem. Before we were just leaving them in water, so I didn't worry about it too much, but we'll see what happens..... Thanks for commenting! PS The sad tea tree you gave us seems to like the back porch. It is putting out little seed buds or something. We need to remember to take it in before it freezes.