Friday, September 5, 2014

A Year in Provence

A Year in Provence

by Peter Mayle

A lovely, leisurely book about a couple who bought a 200-year old farmhouse in Provence, Peter Mayle's best-seller was a treat.  It's exactly what it sounds like: a month-by-month reflection on the joys and foods of this lovely region in France, with occasional remarks on culture, language, dogs, neighbors, grape-growing, and plumbing.  The writing is skillful, the characters engaging, and the flashes of humor delightful. 

I read it slowly and didn't want it to end.

Highly recommended, particularly for lovers of words, armchair travelers, and gourmands.

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely have to give it a try. Is it available in audio book form?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will enjoy you, you gourmand, you! I don't know about if it is in audiobook form, but it wouldn't surprise me. It was a pretty big best-seller.

    ReplyDelete