Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Revealing Side of Travel



Every time I travel, I learn something.  Usually multiple somethings.

For example, when I traveled with my sister Rachel and my mother to Europe I learned:

1.  I have a really strong personality which leads to me often getting my way.  It also means that I'm not particularly flexible, although I am very determined.  It also means that I have a hard time when things don't go the way I had planned -- I'm used to making things go my way by sheer willpower, if need be.

2.  I am a control freak.


3.  I realized the extent to which education changes and enriches the way you see the world.  All three of us enjoyed the trip.  But our three different levels of education meant that we experienced Europe differently.

This trip I learned:

1.  I have a difficult decision that I have been struggling to make for the past two or three years.  When I found myself turning that decision over and over again in my mind rather than giving myself wholeheartedly to the beautiful view, or interesting conversation, or amazing place that I was experiencing, I realized how much that decision is weighing on me.  (Don't worry -- I am not contemplating leaving The Magician or anything like that!  I know perfectly well how lucky I am to have him, and even I am not going to do something that stupid.)

2.  Being comfortable is far more important to me than I had thought.  (I like this conclusion better than the one that I am just getting too old to backpack!)

3.  I need to make things.  I missed my studio so much!

Speaking of which, my readers who like the artsy and the craftsy on this blog, please don't leave me!  No, really! I'm going to be posting more of that just as soon as I can extricate myself from the tangle of modern miscellania.  (Plus I have freelance writing two articles due and basement issues.) I came back from traveling with all kinds of quirky ideas that I am anxious to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment