Saturday, June 27, 2020

Today's Harvest

Green onions, purple beans, basil, and chamomile. The latter I grew to use as a dye, although I haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking maybe tomorrow I will prepare a concoction with chamomile and lemon juice for my hair, I kind of DIY Sun In. My roots are showing!

We got a lot done in the garden this morning. Lots of weeding, some harvesting, and we planted some more carrot seeds in the section where they failed to emerge. I also trimmed the lower 12 inches or so of most of the tomato plants. That is supposed to reduce disease, plus I don't really want them going everywhere along the ground. I think there are more likely to rot and attract bugs if they are on the ground.

I have to say, there is something intensely satisfying about growing my own food, even while recognizing that the time I spend gardening is out of proportion to the money I save. But it's becoming less about the money and more about healthy food and a feeling of being just a little bit more independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment