Tuesday, February 20, 2018

A tea party at the Ritz Carlton Hotel

This is one of the fun things about traveling with other people. Because of my background, Aunt Monica gets to experience places like the Metropolitan Museum of Art a little differently. I recognize quotations, and I have historical context from literature, that kind of thing. ( I don't know whether she likes that or tolerates it, but I do see things differently because of my literary background.) Now Aunt  Monica is a foodie. I am not. But because I am in New York with her, I am experiencing it quite differently then I would if I were on my own.

For example, today we had a tea party at the Ritz Carlton Hotel on Fifth Avenue across from Central Park. On my own, I probably would not have sprung for that kind of experience, but it was really fun.

They served tea, with exotic little sandwiches, like one made with yellow beets and blueberries or another one that had prosciutto ham and lime. Then came scones with jam and some kind of cream instead of plain old butter. Then it was time for the desserts. I do not know how to describe the desserts, other than they were combinations that were really enticing, as well as some classics like red velvet cake. It was all really tasty, but it also felt a little like a culinary adventure and because flavors were put together in thoughtful and unexpected ways. It was one of the first times that I ever thought about food that way. I'm not expressing this very well! But I really liked that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment