Monday, November 21, 2016

Election Headlines from the Chronicle

The Chronicle of Higher Education is exactly what it sounds like: a publication for folks connected with academia that deals with general issues in higher ed as opposed to matters within particular disciplines.  Your typical issue might include articles on adjuncts' miserable wages, grad school survival skills, the uses and abuses of language, job-hunting advice, and ethical dilemmas.  I get the on-line version in my mailbox every morning at work since I am still connected to higher ed, and I enjoy reading it.

I started collecting headlines after the election because I found them amusing.

Before I go any further, I should clarify that I am not a Trump fan.  No thinking person could be.  And I am not a Hilary fan, as someone who at least attempts to be a faithful Christian.  

I was more amused at the frantic hyperbole of a normally pretty staid publication.  The complete lack of any attempt at pretending to be balanced I found interesting.

So here's my collection, for those of you who don't read the Chronicle:

The Day After
A historic election, an anxious classroom

How Do We Respond to the Unthinkable?
If you are worried about the country's new political present, remember that you get to spend your days with its future.

With Trump’s Rise, Undocumented Students Fear for their Futures

A Humbling of Higher Ed: The president-elect's resonant skewering of elites, political correctness, and immigration policy resonate with the country’s long-standing skepticism of academe.

Raising a Voice for Academe Under President Trump: Let’s not spend the next four years whining. Let’s raise our voices for justice, equity, and the liberation of the American psyche from the demons that haunted us in this election.

Traumatized and Indignant, College Students React to a Trump Presidency

Trump’s Surprise Victory Sends Shock through Higher Ed: Donald Trump’s abrasive presidential campaign angered many people in academe. His upset win raises questions about higher education’s place amid a tide of anti-intellectualism.

On Election Night, Colleges Watch as Glass Ceiling Stays Put:  Hillary Clinton’s supporters, at her alma mater and elsewhere, began Tuesday evening ready to celebrate. As their watch parties closed down, the mood had turned to despair.  

What Trump’s Win Compels Scholars to Do: How to carry on in a post-truth era

I found the last one amusing.  Academics may not have invented the convenient idea that there really isn't truth, only multiple perspectives that are all equally valuable (never mind the ample logical problems with this idea).  But certainly many academics promoted this idea that I would call  "post-truth."  So it's sort of ironic that it has come back to haunt them.  If you teach that reality is a matter of preference, or at least, of argument, rather than something that exists to be discovered, and if virtues are merely the tools of the elite to hold the masses in subjection, then you can hardly complain that significant numbers of folks were swayed by Trump.  Too many people haven't been taught to reason, just to "figure out what they believe,"

Anyway, I was too ill to vote, which didn't break my heart.  I just think it is sad because if Trump could beat Hilary, then Mr. Potato Head could have beaten Hilary because I firmly believe that most people didn't like him. They just didn't want her.  As my Mom said, "Just once in a while, it would be nice to for FOR someone, instead of just AGAINST someone else."  So the Republicans could have at least set the bar as high as, say, "A Decent Human Being."

Happily, I think the statistical odds of Trump following the Constitution are nil.  He clearly considers himself exempt from rules.  So his impeachment should be quite possible within the first 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment