Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rain Barrel Update

Forget cats and dogs.  It's been raining elephants and hippopotami!  (Especially a couple of nights ago when thunder woke me up at 3 am so I could watch the lightning and wonder if there was water in our basement because we have no idea how to work the sump pump thingy that came with the house.)

Our rain barrels are full and we haven't needed to use them yet since it has rained at least once a week since we set them up.  (I know you are supposed to use the water to avoid mosquitoes and algae, but since the water pours into the barrel before spilling out through the overflow, I figure it hasn't been stagnant enough to create a suitable environment for those unwelcome guests.  If I'm wrong, I'll let you know....)

The only hiccup was that the intake got clogged with tree debris and had to be cleaned out to keep water going into the barrel.  But that didn't turn out to be a big deal.

I haven't gotten a chance to paint the second barrel, though, because it's been constantly full!  So that blog post won't be any time soon.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment